Motorcycle Club on 4th Street, c1912

Early day Harley-Davidson motorcyclists gather in front of the Motorcycle & Supply Co. storefront at 209 Fourth Street (between Salmon and Taylor) circa 1912. A 1913 article in The Oregonian reports on the first endurance run by the Rose City Motorcycle Club, from Portland to Corvallis and back by 37 riders; perhaps it was this very event. Douglas Wilmot sent in this fabulous photo. His grandfather Albert E. Davis is the gentleman fourth from the right with the child, who Douglas is trying to identify, on the handlebars. Mr. Davis ran the B.E. Davis Electric Co. on Front Street at Oak in the 1920s-30s. The Rowland Hotel can also be seen in the distance in this photo.

(Douglas Wilmot)