N Interstate & Larrabee, 1950

Portland street crews work on N. Interstate Avenue in this 1950 photo. We’re looking northwest; Interstate curves around to the right and N. Russell Street is just around the corner. Harding Avenue comes in from the left and Larrabee continues straight ahead toward the railroad yards; the Union Pacific smokestack can be seen behind the tree on the right. The little burger joint straight ahead is on the northwest corner of Larrabee and Russell and would be under the edge of the Fremont Bridge today.

(City of Portland Archives)

SW Broadway & Columbia, 1957

This view looks northeast at SW Broadway with traffic crossing eastbound on Columbia. The Oregonian Building is shown at center and the Hungerford Hotel is now the Regency Apartments. Compare this photo with the same intersection looking south in 1950.

(LIFE)

SW Morrison & 14th, 1951

Today’s Tiffany Center at SW Morrison at 14th Avenue was the 1928 Neighbors of Woodcraft building in 1951. This photo apparently was meant to document the illuminated stop sign.

(City of Portland Archives)