The intersection of SW 2nd & Washington, here looking south, seemed to be a crossroad of streetcar rails in 1940. The 1885 Portland Savings Bank building on the southwest corner would last another decade or so. Long-time Vintage Portland followers can probably guess what’s on that property today.
The finer parts of Portland had moved a few blocks south and west by 1939, leaving this section of SW 2nd looking south toward Alder the realm of the working man. Work clothes, billiards, Army surplus and hardware stores mixed with restaurants, hotels and drug stores. Anybody remember the old Dahl & Penne Card Room (awning on the left behind the hardware sign)? It came down in the mid-1980s.