A fantastic 1935 aerial photo showing the west end areas of the Burnside and Steel Bridges. The waterfront had been cleaned up and just a couple buildings had been torn down, but this was still a pretty intact “old” Portland. Today’s image is similar, but wider in scope, than this earlier photo.
Some of Portland’s most prominent merchants built the Seamen’s Bethel to improve the lives of 19th-century sailors by providing food, lodging, spiritual needs and general advocacy. Both the four-story and two-story sections, built in 1880, still stand on the northwest corner of NW 3rd and Davis. This photo dates to 1968.