Battleship Oregon Memorial Park , 1940

Battleship Oregon Memorial Park at the foot of SW Jefferson Street, 1940.

 

City of Portland (OR) Archives, A2000-025.1182.

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Battleship Oregon, 1939

Battleship Oregon (BB-3) was a floating monument and museum from 1925-1941. She was moored on the west side of the Willamette, just south of the Hawthorne Bridge. That area is now the bowl at Tom McCall Waterfront Park where the Blues Festival is held every year. The Riverplace Hotel sits about where the boxcars are at the left of the photo. Alaska Junk Co. (which would become Schnitzer Steel) is at the corner of Water Ave. (no longer in existence) and Clay.

(City of Portland Archives)