The luxurious Carlton Hotel opened on SW Washington at 14th in 1911. This 1917 view is to the southwest, looking at the 14th and Burnside corner. This building was demolished for the stadium freeway which today passes under Burnside at this point.
The intersection of SW 2nd & Washington, here looking south, seemed to be a crossroad of streetcar rails in 1940. The 1885 Portland Savings Bank building on the southwest corner would last another decade or so. Long-time Vintage Portland followers can probably guess what’s on that property today.
We’ve seen this intersection before but that was in photos from the 1930s. This time we see the Creston Drive-In Cleaners on the northwest corner of SE 39th & Powell in 1955; we’re looking north here. The little building facing 39th is apparently still with us, as is the apartment building beyond.
When built on W Burnside between NW 4th and 5th in 1907. the Hotel Philip was about twice as deep as it is now. This 1927 photo shows the building before the early 1930s Burnside widening project took about half the building’s depth away, leaving two of the original four windows on the 5th Avenue side.
It was a cold and dreary winter day as people made their way westbound on W. Burnside at 16th Ave.; gravel indicates a recent snowfall. The old clapboard building on the right is the same building shown here in somewhat better days.