Harbor Drive approaches to and from the Steel Bridge are shown in this circa 1950 photo looking north. Front Street parallels Harbor Drive on the left and the intersection with the DeSoto and Blitz billboards is at Davis Street. Some of this roadwork still exists.
Fire Station 2 sits amid what appears to be road construction debris along NW 3rd Avenue in 1948. A 1918 American LaFrance engine is parked outside. Fire Station 2, built in 1913, can still be found at NW 3rd and Glisan. It’s empty and boarded up, but still looks to be in decent condition.
The intersection of West Burnside and 10th Avenue will look familiar to the gazillion people that visit Powell’s City of Books now at this location. This stretch of Burnside at one time was an area of many auto dealerships, including Wentworth & Irwin (Nash, and before that, Packard) and Tarola’s (Chrysler and Plymouth). There are a few ghost signs in Powell’s Blue Room that date back to its dealership days. Check them out on your next visit.