This 1944 photo shows an Alberta Line streetcar at its terminus at NE 30th Avenue and Ainsworth Street. An article in the June 16, 1940 The Oregonian describes the new retail development on the southwest corner (left) and six-unit bungalow court development on the southeast corner.
This photo from the early 1930s shows the intersection of W. Burnside at SW 3rd looking south. On the left, the Union Theater is now the Paris Theater and the Union Cafe is now Berbati’s Pan and Voodoo Doughnut. Dante’s now sits where Winchester House once was.
Tomorrow: A very similar view after widening of W. Burnside.