NW 3rd Avenue, 1935

The City Photographer took this image on NW 3rd Ave. between Hoyt St. and Glisan St. to document sewer repair work. This image documents a specific Federal WPA project.

Crew repairing sewer on NW 3rd between Hoyt and Glisan, Dec. 13, 1935 :  A2000-025.1053

Crew repairing sewer on NW 3rd between Hoyt and Glisan, Dec. 13, 1935 : A2000-025.1053

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

NW Hoyt & 3rd Avenue, 1948

Men are working to construct a temporary dike to hold back Willamette River flood waters at the intersection of NW Hoyt Street at 3rd Avenue in 1948. The Steel Bridge and the fire station at far right still exist today; no other building or structure remains.

A1999-004.1043 Flood control  temp dike NW Hoyt east from 4th 1948(City of Portland Archives)

NW Hoyt & 10th, 1948

Pedestrians tread carefully on temporary scaffolding that keeps them above flooded NW Hoyt Street at 10th Avenue. The water is due to the Spring flood of 1948; it’s not much more than curb deep here but it’s a long way from the river. Most of the right side of the street is still intact today while the left side has all been replaced.

A2004-002.878 NW 10th and Hoyt flood 1948(City of Portland Archives)

NW Hoyt Street, 1917

NW Hoyt Street was paved with Belgian blocks when this 1917 image was taken. You can still find a few streets in the area paved with these natural stones but Hoyt is all asphalt now. A couple of buildings are still with  us in this view to the west looking through the intersection at 11th Avenue.

A2001-008.105 NW Hoyt St between 10th and 11th 1917(City of Portland Archives)

North Bank Freight Depot, 1917

The western-most North Bank Freight Depot building on the northwest corner of NW Hoyt & 11th is shown in the 1917 photo. The building (and its sister across the street) is still with us, a fine luxury condo building in the Pearl District. The remnants of that sign on the end of the building can still be seen.

(City of Portland Archives)

NW Hoyt & 3rd, 1948

Sandbags formed a temporary dike to try to control water during the 1948 flood. This view looks southeast along the railroad tracks at Union Station from about NW Hoyt & 3rd Avenue. The partial building at far right was attached to the back of the extant fire station on Glisan and the ramp in the background leads to the Steel Bridge. You can see an aerial view of this area during the same flood in this earlier Vintage Portland post.

(City of Portland Archives)