The biggest change in this scene more than a half century later is that the Max tracks now go east and west on NE Holladay Street. That’s NE 13th Avenue we’re looking north on with the brand-new Lloyd Center in the background.
A very nicely detailed photo of the first Steel Bridge, circa 1890. The east end, shown here, was at the foot of Holladay street. It spanned the river and met the west shore near the south end of what is now the McCormick Pier Condominiums.
The Steel Bridge Saloon was at 269 Crosby on the northwest corner of Holladay and Crosby at the east end of the old, original Steel Bridge. This would put it very close to the Interstate/Rose Quarter Max station today. According to a 1921 item in The Oregonian, Mr. Henrich saved $3500 when “yeggmen” failed to breach the inner compartment of his safe in a robbery attempt.
The A.O. Pedersen tin shop was at 232 N. Larrabee Avenue, on the east side of the street between N. Hassalo and N. Holladay streets. This would put it in the grassy area just to the south of the Rose Garden outdoor fountain today.