Our Number Man probably could never conceive that the lot behind him would eventually hold a four-level parking structure with a helipad on the roof. He’s standing on the northwest corner of NW Front Avenue and Davis Street in this circa 1930 photo.
Atkinson School, highlighted yesterday, went through a lot in its 70+ years. It was in the “new and commodious room in the North school building, with the most excellent patent seats” when it opened in 1869. By 1903 it was called a “wreck,” a “rathole,” and “the terror of our childhood” after a City Federation of Women’s Clubs inspection. It housed returning First World War soldiers in 1919, and was the school for the Old Town’s Chinese and Japanese students beginning in the 1920s. This photo shows it just before demolition began in 1941.
(The Oregonian. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com)
Atkinson School was Portland’s first high school; it opened in 1869 with 45 students and two teachers. Originally called North School, another school was built even farther north in about 1890, creating confusion. The school took up the entire block between NW 11th & 12th Avenues, Couch and Davis Streets. This view is southwest at 11th and Davis. It was demolished in 1941.
Probably not the most dramatic Columbus Day Storm photo you’ll see today but this gives us a little insight into what the North Park Blocks looked like in 1962. The three buildings in the distance are still standing. The one on the right provides a hint of what lurks below it’s cladding installed during a modernization attempt. This view is northwest from NW Davis & 8th.
Since its opening in 1901 the US Custom House on NW 8th Avenue between Everett and Davis Streets has been home to the US Customs Service and the US Army Corps of Engineers. It’s currently the site of the police headquarters in the TV program “Grimm.” The building recently sold at auction with future plans for the building not announced. The streets appear to still be unpaved in this 1904 image.
Some of Portland’s most prominent merchants built the Seamen’s Bethel to improve the lives of 19th-century sailors by providing food, lodging, spiritual needs and general advocacy. Both the four-story and two-story sections, built in 1880, still stand on the northwest corner of NW 3rd and Davis. This photo dates to 1968.