You could find on-street parking and gas for a little more than a quarter a gallon along SE 82nd Avenue in 1965. Neither option is even remotely possible today. This view is south through the intersection with SE Ash Street.
The Boston Packing Co. building looks much too large to fit in the triangular block between SW 3rd, Ash and Ankeny Streets. A pedestal of one of the “Great Light Way” display arches over the intersection from the corner. It was sure to be a rough-and-tumble area just off lower Burnside in the 1920s.
The New Market Theater is shown here on SW 1st between Ankeny and Ash Streets, probably in 1872, the year it was completed. Construction appears to be just starting for the New Market Block, North Wing, which was completed the following year. The North Wing was demolished in 1956 but the cast-iron arches were saved and are in place today. It will be another 16 years before the Skidmore Fountain makes its appearance. It would be placed probably about at the end of the wooden sidewalk at lower center of the photo.
The 1889 Glisan’s Building was the last cast-iron building constructed in Portland. It stands on the east side of SW 2nd Ave. between Ash and Pine Streets. At the time of this photo, the area was still home to many industrial-type companies, such as Chown Electrical Supply Co. pictured here. Now a more commercial and entertainment area, the building is home to Kell’s Irish Restaurant and Pub.