SW Ankeny Street, 1971

Another view of pavement work at SW 2nd Avenue and SW Ankeny Street, July 1, 1971.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, SW 2nd St. and SW Ankeny paving - Oregon Oyster, A2012-005, 1975.

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, SW 2nd St. and SW Ankeny paving – Oregon Oyster, A2012-005, 1975.

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW Ankeny Street, 1971

Men working on pavement at SW 2nd Avenue and SW Ankeny Street, July 1, 1971.

 

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, SW 2nd Ave. and SW Ankeny St. paving, A2012-005, 1975

City of Portland Archives, Oregon, SW 2nd Ave. and SW Ankeny St. paving, A2012-005, 1975

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Park Avenue, 1894

Flood damage at Park and Ankeny, looking north. This photograph was taken June 9, 1894. Previous posts have shown images of the same flood from different angles: Front and Morrison, 1st and Stark, and Ankeny and Park.

 

Flood on the North Park blocks, 1894: A2004-002.1570

Flood on the North Park blocks, 1894: A2004-002.1570

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW Ankeny, 1894

Here we have a scene at SW Ankeny and the Park blocks during the flood of 1894. The image is from a book by Joseph Gaston titled, Portland – Its History and Builders, Vol. 1. Despite the flooding, everyone in this image seems to be taking the situation in stride.

SW Ankeny and SW Park  during flooding, 1894 : A2004-002.7771

SW Ankeny and SW Park during flooding, 1894 : A2004-002.7771

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW Front & Vine, c1929

This 1929 photo shows a row of magnificent cast-iron fronted buildings along the east side of SW Front Avenue at the foot of Vine Street. Vine no longer exists but is a part of Ankeny Plaza between Ankeny and Ash Streets. From the left, the buildings are Dodd Block (1888), Cooks’ Building (1882), Ankeny & Watson Building (1868), and Central Block (1879) on the corner at Ash Street. All were demolished in 1942.

A2009-009.2495 Looking east at SW Front between Ankeny & Ash 1929(City of Portland Archives)

SW 3rd & Ash, 1928

The Boston Packing Co. building looks much too large to fit in the triangular block between SW 3rd, Ash and Ankeny Streets. A pedestal of one of the “Great Light Way” display arches over the intersection from the corner. It was sure to be a rough-and-tumble area just off lower Burnside in the 1920s.

Northwest corner of Ash and 3rd 1928(City of Portland Archives)

New Market Theater, c1872

The New Market Theater is shown here on SW 1st between Ankeny and Ash Streets, probably in 1872, the year it was completed. Construction appears to be just starting for the New Market Block, North Wing, which was completed the following year. The North Wing was demolished in 1956 but the cast-iron arches were saved and are in place today. It will be another 16 years before the Skidmore Fountain makes its appearance. It would be placed probably about at the end of the wooden sidewalk at lower center of the photo.

New Market Theater & North Wing LOC c1873(Library of Congress)