Fire Drill Tower Construction, 1935

Construction of the fire drill tower began in 1935. In this image we see the beginning stages. The tower is located at SE Milwaukie Ave. and SE Powel Blvd. You can see part of the completed tower in the previous post about the vehicle inspection station on SE Powell and Milwaukie.

 

Fire Drill Tower Construction, June 6, 1935 : A2009-009.2823

Fire Drill Tower Construction, June 6, 1935 : A2009-009.2823

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SE Milwaukie & Powell, 1939

A terrific 1939 photo of a city vehicle inspection station at the northeast corner of SE Milwaukie Avenue & Powell Blvd. Incredibly, the building and all the other major buildings visible are still with us today, although the church is now without its steeple.

A2009-009.910 SE Powell & Milwaukie 1939(City of Portland Archives)

SE Milwaukie Avenue, c1930

We’re looking south down SE Milwaukie Avenue just south of Powell Blvd in this circa 1930 photo. The Sellwood Line streetcar rails split the street and Geller’s Theater, now known as the Aladdin Theater, is on the right.

A2009-009.901 SE Milwaukie near Powell Blvd 1932(City of Portland Archives)