E Burnside Street, 1934

E Burnside Street at 8th Avenue is looking west. The view from this location today is very similar to the one we see in this 1934 photograph.

 

Arcaded building at East 8th and East Burnside Street, Jan. 4, 1932: A2004-001.621

Arcaded building at East 8th and East Burnside Street, Jan. 4, 1932: A2004-001.621

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

 

SE Belmont, 1941

This image was taken after the widening of SE Belmont Ave was completed. We are looking east on SE Belmont St. near SE 8th Ave. In this image you can see signs for East Side Food Center/Grand Central Public Market, Dolan Wrecking Co., and Richfield on the far right side of the street.

 

SE Belmont and 8th Ave, Feb. 18, 1940 : A2000-025.1252

SE Belmont and 8th Ave, Feb. 18, 1941 : A2000-025.1252

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

E Burnside & NE 8th Avenue, 1927

This building on the northwest corner of East Burnside and NE 8th Avenue shows what it looked like before it underwent the “arcade” process. As Burnside was to be widened right up to the support columns, workers moved the street level storefronts back so the sidewalk could pass under the floors above, creating an arcade. There are still a few of these arcade buildings left and this is a nice example.

Building on NW corner SE 8th and Burnside 1927(City of Portland Archives)

W Burnside & N 8th, 1928

Any evidence of these buildings along West Burnside at N. (now NW) 8th Avenue disappeared decades ago. With the exception of the Park Blocks to the immediate left, this is the last full block of Burnside to be widened in the early 1930s; that project would have taken 20 feet off these buildings. A modern residential high-rise sits on this site now.

W Burnside and N Eighth 1928(City of Portland Archives)

NW Davis & 8th, 1962

Probably not the most dramatic Columbus Day Storm photo you’ll see today but this gives us a little insight into what the North Park Blocks looked like in 1962. The three buildings in the distance are still standing. The one on the right provides a hint of what lurks below it’s cladding installed during a modernization attempt. This view is northwest from NW Davis & 8th.

(City of Portland Archives)

W Burnside & SW 8th, 1928

This is a 1928 photo of the southeast corner of W Burnside and SW 8th Avenue. During the Burnside widening project in the early 1930s, this building lost approximately 20 feet from its Burnside face (on the left), leaving just one window panel in that first bay. It was built in 1910 as the Lowengart Building, renamed the Rothchild Building in 1934, and it’s now known as the Mark O. Hatfield Building. The Sunset Tire Co. would eventually move a block east to the site of the former Scott Hotel (see yesterday’s post comments).

(City of Portland Archives)