Our Number Man probably indicates that an East Burnside street widening project is not too far in the future. The business names have changed at the intersection with SE 14th Avenue but the buildings remain intact today.
Cotillion Hall, on the southeast corner of West Burnside and 14th Avenue, has been the home to many forms of music since its 1914 opening. It’s better known today as the Crystal Ballroom, with Ringlers Pub, named for original owner Montrose Ringler, now replacing the garage on the ground floor. The exterior is virtually unchanged in almost a century.
This 1917 survey photo shows 505-511 Burnside which, before the city renumbering, puts this block on the north side of West Burnside between 14th and 15th Streets. This is directly across Burnside from the Carlton Hotel. The building in the distance is probably the North Pacific Dental College on the southwest corner of 15th and Couch.
Once upon a time NW Lovejoy Street was elevated, from NW 14th Avenue to the Broadway Bridge. This view looks east at 14th where the ramp took drivers over the (now gone) railroad tracks. That overhead portion was removed in the late 1990s and now the ramp to the bridge begins at 9th Avenue.
The operator of the Hotel Carlton promised that the hotel would be “the Ritz-Carlton of Portland” and “is to be the last word in comfort, convenience and luxury.” It opened on the northwest corner of SW 14th and Washington in 1911 but by the time it was demolished for the Stadium Freeway in 1965, it had been reduced in status to a home for the aged and disabled. Click here to read the full story (advertisement) in The Oregonian of May 7, 1911 about the splendor of the new hotel.