Northwest Portland, 1928

This dapper gentleman struck a pose with his car in the Northwest industrial area of Portland in 1928. Although labeled as “NW 14th & Lovejoy,” this location could be open to debate. Is that a salesman’s sample case on the ground?

A2009-009.1204 Man Posing with Car NW 14th & Lovejoy 1928(City of Portland Archives)

W Burnside, 10th & Oak, 1947

This view facing east on W. Burnside at 10th and Oak doesn’t look much different from the air today. Perhaps the greatest change is the addition of two large buildings on the blocks northeast and southwest of SW 9th & Oak. The shadow at the very bottom indicates this photo may have been taken from a blimp.

Aerial of W Burnside, Tenth Ave and Oak St 1947(City of Portland Archives)

Atkinson School, 1941

Atkinson School, highlighted yesterday, went through a lot in its 70+ years. It was in the “new and commodious room in the North school building, with the most excellent patent seats” when it opened in 1869. By 1903 it was called a “wreck,” a “rathole,” and “the terror of our childhood” after a City Federation of Women’s Clubs inspection. It housed returning First World War soldiers in 1919, and was the school for the Old Town’s Chinese and Japanese students beginning in the 1920s. This photo shows it just before demolition began in 1941.

atkinson school demolished 19410405(The Oregonian. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com)

Northwest Portland Aerial, 1938

A spectacular aerial image of Northwest Portland from the Willamette River west to about 18th Avenue in 1938. The scene is so familiar and yet so much has changed. No longer will we find the Lovejoy and 10th Avenue ramps, the gas storage tank and the rail yards. Many of the low-rise buildings have been replaced by new high-rises, freeways or parking lots. The bridges and parks remain, reminding us of what once was.

A2010-001.78 NW Portland waterfront and trainyards 1938(City of Portland Archives)

NW 10th Avenue Ramp, 1956

City crews work on the NW 10th Avenue ramp that lead from the old Lovejoy Street ramp down to street level. Both were removed in 1999 in a process that turned this former industrial/rail center into today’s Pearl District.

A1999-004.247 Lovejoy St Viaduct 10th southeast 1956(City of Portland Archives)

NW Hoyt & 10th, 1948

Pedestrians tread carefully on temporary scaffolding that keeps them above flooded NW Hoyt Street at 10th Avenue. The water is due to the Spring flood of 1948; it’s not much more than curb deep here but it’s a long way from the river. Most of the right side of the street is still intact today while the left side has all been replaced.

A2004-002.878 NW 10th and Hoyt flood 1948(City of Portland Archives)

NW Hoyt Street, 1917

NW Hoyt Street was paved with Belgian blocks when this 1917 image was taken. You can still find a few streets in the area paved with these natural stones but Hoyt is all asphalt now. A couple of buildings are still with  us in this view to the west looking through the intersection at 11th Avenue.

A2001-008.105 NW Hoyt St between 10th and 11th 1917(City of Portland Archives)