10 thoughts on “Guilds Lake Pump Station, 1966

  1. Ongoing channel-deepening of the Willamette River, along with completion of a port terminal in 1914 in this area made Portland an important west coast deep-water port.

  2. “When the Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition was held in the summer of 1905, it was on the shores of that lake. Legendary urban designer Frederick L. Olmstead, the designer of New York’s Central Park, drafted the plan, which included dreamy promenades and palatial buildings along the shore of the lake and on the island-like peninsula in the middle, with a 1,000-foot-long walkway connecting them. Small pleasure boats plied the lake’s waters as balloons and airships drifted overhead. It was a gorgeous sight. Spectators mill around the bandstand at the 1905 Lewis and Clark
    Exposition, with the lake and the Government Building behind. The largest
    part of the lake is behind the peninsula bridge and the peninsula the building
    is on.
    Who would have believed, strolling along the shoreside promenade at Guild’s Lake that summer, that within 20 years it would be utterly gone? Filled-in for industrial lands and through the years becoming a huge toxic waste dump*. From Long-lost Guild’s Lake Was Once Portland’s Water Wonderland, by Finn J.D. John — October 21, 2012, Off-beat Portland.

    *State of Oregon Depart of Environmental Quality Report:
    https://www.deq.state.or.us/lq/ECSI/ecsidetail.asp?seqnbr=36

  3. Even though that is the Guilds Lake pump station there –the photo isn’t of the Guilds Lake area. Guilds Lake was aways south of the railroad bridge. Thats Doane Lake there in the photo.

  4. This photo may be related to a Oregonian story from June 7, 1966 that details the start of construction of the Linnton-Guilds Lake Sewage Disposal Project. The $3.2 million project was split in to 3 contracts or units. Unit #1 of the interceptor ran from 1/4 mile east of NW Doane Ave along NW Front st. to the SP&S railroad bridge, and would carry outfall now going into the Willamette river. Unit #2 was to dredge a open trench in the Willamette river, and for the laying of a sewer pipe that would run parallel to the railroad bridge. Unit #3 called the Portsmouth Tunnel was a 7,000′ & 6′ diameter tunnel to connect the river crossing with the Columbia Blvd treatment plant, with all work to be completed by December 1967.

  5. Interesting photo of the area on the opposite side of the river. On the left, down river from the RR bridge is the very compact Willamette Cove industrial area, still in operation at that time. That area had the original Port of Portland drydocks, barrel manufacturing, an early plywood mill and a warehousing operation. The street going uphill to the left from the large building is Edgewater Road, that connected the area to Willamette Blvd.

    To the right of the RR bridge is the infamous McCormick and Baxter Creosoting operation, also in full operation at that time, and one of the major drivers of the Portland Harbor Superfund site. Cleanup of that site is ongoing after about 25 years. https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=1000339

  6. The November 3, 2014 VP photo of the Guilds lake pump station in 1969 shows it as a small building next to the railroad tracks leading to the railroad bridge.

  7. The stern of a Standard Oil and former WWII T-2 tanker on final approach to the Wilbridge Oil Terminal. The tug on the starboard quarter of the ship is the former Shaver Transportation Co. tug “Oregon” which was sunk off the Washington coast later that next year by a explosion in the aft steering compartment during a heavy winter storm. The tug sunk in seven minutes. The crew survived by making their way back to the barge that it had been towing at the end of a thousand feet of towing. The steam Derrick barge being pushed up the river, down river of the RR bridge, is the same one in the image at the T-4 fire boat station a week or two back. The railroad swing span, built in 1907-08 was the largest swing span in the world at that time it was replaced in 1988-89 by the current lift span, which is the now the largest single lift span bridge in the world. The shipyard that once occupied the “Coopridge Cove”, as the old timers had called it, had become a lay up berth for mothballed ships. By the time this image was taken the shipyard had long since moved upriver to Swan Island.

Comments are closed.