To finish our little odyssey along SW Lowell Street, we see how the northwest corner of Lowell and SW Corbett looked in 1939. We’re missing the streetcar tracks today but otherwise it looks much the same.
This home at 180 SW Lowell Ave at one time sat adjacent to the Southern Pacific Railroad right-of-way, seen here on the left. The right-of-way was acquired by the state highway department in the early 1930s and Barbur Blvd. laid on its path. This home may have been demolished for construction of the highway.
(City of Portland Archives)
VP Fan and previous contributor Bud Holland sent in another great entry. This is the old Swan Island Airport terminal building circa 1940. Bud seems to remember that this was used as the headquarters of Oregon Shipbuilding during WWII. Can anybody provide more information on this? Great photo, Bud, thanks again!
The building with this odd configuration is long gone from NE Union Avenue between San Rafael and Tillamook Streets. The section to the left looks like a duplex or rooming house, while Mr. Elliott may have been running his sharpening business from the front of his home on the right.