These generously wide sidewalks along NE Sandy Blvd at 24th Avenue are a thing of the distant past. Street widening projects plus replacement of these buildings have left significantly narrower sidewalks today.
This view from above the south end of Duniway Park shows a portion of South Portland that essentially no longer exists. That stretch of road behind the trees is Barbur Blvd. where it extends south from 4th & Sheridan at top left. The view is just a bit east of this previous VP image.
This view facing east on W. Burnside at 10th and Oak doesn’t look much different from the air today. Perhaps the greatest change is the addition of two large buildings on the blocks northeast and southwest of SW 9th & Oak. The shadow at the very bottom indicates this photo may have been taken from a blimp.
While quite a few of the downtown buildings in this 1949 photo from Portland Heights can still be identified today, many of the smaller buildings, particularly houses, are gone from the foreground area. Compare with this photo from some 30 years later, from roughly the same spot, after US-26 and I-405 were cut through the area.
Atkinson School, highlighted yesterday, went through a lot in its 70+ years. It was in the “new and commodious room in the North school building, with the most excellent patent seats” when it opened in 1869. By 1903 it was called a “wreck,” a “rathole,” and “the terror of our childhood” after a City Federation of Women’s Clubs inspection. It housed returning First World War soldiers in 1919, and was the school for the Old Town’s Chinese and Japanese students beginning in the 1920s. This photo shows it just before demolition began in 1941.
(The Oregonian. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com)
Atkinson School was Portland’s first high school; it opened in 1869 with 45 students and two teachers. Originally called North School, another school was built even farther north in about 1890, creating confusion. The school took up the entire block between NW 11th & 12th Avenues, Couch and Davis Streets. This view is southwest at 11th and Davis. It was demolished in 1941.