Atkinson School was Portland’s first high school; it opened in 1869 with 45 students and two teachers. Originally called North School, another school was built even farther north in about 1890, creating confusion. The school took up the entire block between NW 11th & 12th Avenues, Couch and Davis Streets. This view is southwest at 11th and Davis. It was demolished in 1941.