The Portland Cable Railway Co. operated this cable car trestle as part of their overall Portland Heights line in the 1890s. The wooden trestle ran from the powershop at SW 18th & Mill (now under US26 just east of the tunnels) south up the hill to 18th & probably Jackson St. in Portland Heights. From there it traveled up 18th to Spring St. Power lines essentially trace the route today. The house at right center in this photo still exists; it’s the 1891 Alice Druhot house on SW Cable St., a block to the west of the trestle. Read more about the Portland Cable Railway Co. here. Thanks to VP fan Roxanne for the tip on this post.
The New Heathman Hotel, at SW Broadway and Salmon, presented a much more commercial face to passersby in 1948 than it does today. Most of the windows along the Salmon Street side are closed over now, and the cluttered drug store is now the slick Heathman bar and the hotel entrance. Only one tower remains on the First Congregational Church on the next block south.
There’s just so much to love about this 1912 photo taken of Portland and Mt. Hood from the west hills, maybe Pittock Mansion. St. Francis Catholic Church (from Wednesday’s post) is unmistakeable at upper left, while the old Washington High School sits just to its south. The old Blitz Weinhard brewery is on Burnside, Portland High School is visible on SW Morrison, and a pre-PGE Park athletic field is in the foreground. You can see the steel frame of the Benson Hotel under construction too. Fabulous detail for a photo of this vintage.
This precarious looking discharge elevator was built to raise the dirt excavated for the 1928 intercepting sewer project along Front Avenue. The Portland Provision Co. was in the Portland Seed Co. building on the northwest corner of SW Front and Alder Street. The two-story buildings at center-right are the Wasserman & Weil buildings.
The twin spires of St. Francis church rose 228 feet and were topped by 25 foot gilded metal crosses, providing a landmark visible from around the city. A 1916 lightning strike damaged the south spire and a 1931 wind storm doomed both spires. The church is still on SE Pine between 11th and 12th.
(The Oregonian. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com)
Lots of people out and about on SW Madison between 5th and 6th in this 1950 photo. The Milwaukee bus may have just dropped some passengers, women with kids out shopping perhaps, car repair decisions being made, and IBM and Lincoln/Mercury/Cadillac sales indicate an active, mid-century city before the high-rises are built.