The top photo shows houses that were typical of the South Auditorium Urban Renewal Area in 1962 and was intended to show the dilapidated state of the area. Most residents were older Jewish and Italian immigrants but also was home to Chinese, Greek and Irish residents.
The bottom photo from 1950 shows the area, bordered by SW Market and Arthur Streets, Harbor Drive and Fourth Avenue. The Auditorium is the full-block building at top center. At least 349 lots were acquired, 1,573 residents, including 336 families, and 289 businesses were relocated. 445 buildings were demolished. Compare this photo with the post-demolition aerial photo from 1964.