Sisters of Providence established St. Vincent Hospital, the first permanent hospital in Oregon, in 1875, at NW 12th and Marshall. The second St. Vincent Hospital, shown here in 1909, was dedicated in 1895. It was sited on hilly land on NW Westover Rd. between Glisan and Irving Streets. The landmark building ended its useful life in 1971 when all patients were moved to the new Providence St. Vincent Medical Center on SW Barnes Road. This building was demolished in the late 1970s.