This sunny day in 1939 finds us looking north from SW 18th & Morrison towards West Burnside. Today, 18th is one-way off to the right and 19th (seen here on the left) is one-way towards our vantage point. On the far side of Burnside, a McDonald’s and its parking lot replace that whole row of buildings. Note the Willamette Heights streetcar on 19th and another streetcar headed up Burnside.
The island in the center is the Campbell Memorial, named for Fire Chief David Campbell, who lost his life fighting the Union Oil Fire on June 26, 1911. This memorial is in sad shape and is in danger of being demolished, with a new memorial being constructed elsewhere. Read more about the memorial here.
Thanks to alert Vintage Portland reader Tanya for suggesting this.