It was probably hard to miss the General Pants Co. store while driving past. But the top floors showed the classic style and fine detailing of Portland’s cast iron building inventory. The 1883 Council building, at SW 3rd and Washington, fell to the wrecker’s ball sometime in the 1970s (this photo is from 1971). The site remains a surface parking lot today. The light-colored building to the right, the Waldo Block, remains; for years home to Elephant & Castle pub, it now hosts Mama Mia Trattoria.
By the way, the “Vines” on the clock was a department store. Anybody have any information on it?