As part of Portland’s construction of the seawall along the river, an interceptor sewer project was undertaken. This 1928 photo shows sewer work along Front Avenue just south of the Burnside Bridge. The building beyond the bridge to the left is the recently restored White Stag Building, built in 1907. The other buildings on the left are gone, and where the row of buildings on the right once stood is now the northbound lanes of Naito Parkway. Here’s the Google Street View today.