Here we see the Portland Cable Railway Co. trestle that ran through Portland Heights. In a previous post, we saw the trestle from a different angle. This image is from circa 1890.
Monday’s images of Ainsworth Elementary School sparked a conversation about the building partially hidden in the trees on the right. That was originally the Portland Heights Club, shown from the opposite (south) side in today’s top photo in the early 1960s. The footbridge from the end of SW Spring St. to St. Helens Ct. can be seen to the left of the building. The bottom photo shows the old W.H. Fear home, just uphill from the club. The photo of the club was probably taken from the Fear property which was razed in the early 1960s to make way for the Ainsworth classroom annex building. Thanks to VP fan “wl” for sending in these scans from the City of Portland Archives.
Hard to believe that somebody would build on the the lot on this corner due to the steepness of the slope. It would take almost a half-century but a single family home sits on the SW Montgomery Drive site just below where it meets SW Vista (beyond railing at top). It looks like Montgomery was getting the forms removed from its first paving job.
There are some nice details to be found in this 1939 aerial looking down on Washington Park. The Rose Garden and reservoirs are evident in center. Canyon Road snakes down to Goose Hollow under the Vista Avenue Viaduct on the left. It appears the old Portland Railway, Light & Power Company’s building was still on the southwest corner of 23rd and Burnside. Enjoy!
The D.E. Keasey & Co. real estate people didn’t just put out the ad shown here a couple weeks ago. They also distributed this beautiful hand-drawn illustration of Portland Heights and surrounding areas. The great perspective shows Ford Street Bridge (Vista Avenue Viaduct) in the lower right all the way to Council Crest and Castle Point in the distance. Thanks to VP fan Scott Smith for providing this beauty. As always, click the image to zoom in on the detailed goodness.
This lovely 1903 image from Portland Heights encompasses Goose Hollow on the left, Union Station on the right, out to Mount St. Helens in the distance. The large white residence near the center was the Monroe Bennett Rankin home. Mr. Rankin made his fortune in the timber industry and built this fine home in 1890 on the block bounded by SW 16th and 17th Streets, Clifton and Myrtle Avenues. It’s no longer in existence and the four homes now on that block date from the late 1930s.