The theater opened on the corner of SW Broadway and Yamhill as the Empress Theater in 1913, was later renamed the Hippodrome Theater and remodeled to this configuration as the Pantages Theater in 1926. It was finally renamed Orpheum Theater in 1929. Here you see trucks set to haul away demolition debris in 1976 as the block is leveled to make way for the Nordstom building.
Posts Tagged ‘Orpheum Theater’
Interesting perspective in this photo looking straight down on SW Broadway as it cuts through the heart of downtown in 1960 (south is up). The parking lot just left of center will become Pioneer Courthouse Square a quarter-century later. Very few blocks have escaped change in the last 50 years.
A lot has changed in Portland since 1935 but this view north on SW Broadway from Madison Street has enough landmarks to make it recognizable today. The most notable changes are the Portland Center for the Performing Arts building now on the left, and the 1000 Broadway building that replaced the Broadway Theater on the right.