Posts Tagged ‘Multnomah Hotel’

SW 4th Avenue, 1946

August 7, 2013

This 1946 photo looks north on SW 4th Avenue through Oak Street, the first intersection visible. The east side of the street is pretty intact today, while the west side is completely different north of Oak. The 1883 Sinnott House at NW 3rd & Couch can be seen in the far distance.

A2005-001.1106 traffic signal SW 4th north from Oak 1946(City of Portland Archives)

SW 4th & Washington, 1946

May 3, 2013

There were some great business signs along SW 4th Avenue north of Washington Street in 1946. “Paradise Inn Chop Suey” is a classic. Except for the block on the immediate left, almost everything we see here is miraculously still standing.

A2005-001.887 SW 4th at Washington  north 1946(City of Portland Archives)

Street Demonstration, SW 4th & Oak, 1932

April 11, 2013

From the police historical “Red Squad” archives is this 1932 image of anti-war protesters purportedly outside the Japanese consulate on SW 4th Avenue. The view is to the north and the first cross street is SW Oak.

A2001-074.92 Anti-war march-Japanese Consulate SW 4th Ave 1932(City of Portland Archives)

Steel & Burnside Bridgeheads, 1935

July 27, 2012

A fantastic 1935 aerial photo showing the west end areas of the Burnside and Steel Bridges. The waterfront had been cleaned up and just a couple buildings had been torn down, but this was still a pretty intact “old” Portland. Today’s image is similar, but wider in scope, than this earlier photo.

(City of Portland Archives)

SW 3rd & W Burnside After Widening

January 19, 2010

This photo is roughly the same vantage point as my previous post but taken after widening of W. Burnside. Note that the three-story Winchester House is now the single story building we know as Dante’s today. The “Great Light Way” illuminated arches are also gone. The Multnomah Hotel (now Embassy Suites) is much more visible at top right.

Here’s a circa 1933 photo of the same intersection looking east on Burnside. This is roughly the same time period, early- to mid-30s.

(City of Portland Archives)

SW 3rd & W Burnside Before Widening

January 18, 2010

This photo from the early 1930s shows the intersection of W. Burnside at SW 3rd looking south. On the left, the Union Theater is now the Paris Theater and the Union Cafe is now Berbati’s Pan and Voodoo Doughnut. Dante’s now sits where Winchester House once was.

Tomorrow: A very similar view after widening of W. Burnside.

(City of Portland Archives)


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,145 other followers

%d bloggers like this: