This fine home sits just a half block east of the Mt. Tabor Presbyterian Church we visited a couple weeks ago. Located at 5631 SE Belmont Street, the Jacob H. Cook home is an excellent colonial revival example. Even the low block wall is still beautifully intact.
The final part of our series on Reservoir #6 shows it complete and operational in 1916. The east-west divider wall is not visible in this photo but it separates the reservoir into north and south basins; only one is filled at a time. Water pressure from Reservoir #5 just uphill feeds the fountain in the active basin.
By 1912, Reservoir #6 work was progressing well. Installation of the lining had begun and construction of the center wall separating the north and south basins was underway. The inlet gatehouse, to the left, would house a small hydroelectric turbine; generated power could be sold back to the grid or used as backup power for the facility if needed. The outlet gatehouse is somewhat smaller.
Construction continues into 1911 on Reservoir #6 on Mt. Tabor. Excavation looks complete and work has begun on the inlet and outlet gatehouses. The view is from much the same vantage point as last week’s photo.
Grading and excavation of Reservoir #6 on Mt Tabor continues in this 1910 image looking southwest from higher up the hill. What’s densely built Southeast Portland now was pretty sparsely populated in 1910.
Today is the first in a weekly series of looks at Reservoir #6 on the western flank of Mt. Tabor. This view looking southeast shows the beginning stages of excavation and grading in 1910. The photo appears to have caught an explosion in the right distance. Construction of Reservior #5 is underway farther up the hill.