N. Broadway looking east to Larrabee seemed like a thriving, pedestrian-friendly neighborhood center in 1937. You can even see the subway entrances that would allow walkers to cross under the busy streets. Everything on the right is now part of the Memorial Coliseum/Rose Center complex. See another view of this intersection looking south on this previous VP post.
Posts Tagged ‘Gevurtz Furniture’
A few of the buildings seen here are still standing today but the scene is vastly different now. Among those still with us, the Willamette Block in front foreground and the Centennial Block (Gevurtz Furniture on the left, now Rock Bottom Brewery) have both been beautifully restored. This view north on 2nd has some great signage lining the street. A previous photo looks toward our camera position here from several blocks north.
The finer parts of Portland had moved a few blocks south and west by 1939, leaving this section of SW 2nd looking south toward Alder the realm of the working man. Work clothes, billiards, Army surplus and hardware stores mixed with restaurants, hotels and drug stores. Anybody remember the old Dahl & Penne Card Room (awning on the left behind the hardware sign)? It came down in the mid-1980s.