Wood frame buildings were still common on SW 6th Avenue in 1914. The street looked like an entertainment area of sorts with many bars, pool halls, theaters and restaurants. The new and elegant 12-story Wilcox Building, at left at the intersection with Washington Street, was a sign of a growing city. This view is south from Stark Street.
Posts Tagged ‘Bull Durham’
Long before it became the AIA Portland headquarters, long before it was the S.K. Josefsberg Gallery, it was Mallory’s Stables on the corner of NW 11th and Flanders. The building dates to about 1880 but W.L. Mallory ran his stables here in the early 20th century; this photo was taken in 1917. All the surrounding buildings in the photo are gone.