SW 4th & Washington, 1946

There were some great business signs along SW 4th Avenue north of Washington Street in 1946. “Paradise Inn Chop Suey” is a classic. Except for the block on the immediate left, almost everything we see here is miraculously still standing.

A2005-001.887 SW 4th at Washington  north 1946(City of Portland Archives)

SW 4th & Morrison, 1938

Portland rain drenches a heavy lunchtime crowd of pedestrians and vehicles in this photo looking north on SW 4th Avenue at Morrison. 4th Avenue carried two-way traffic in 1938.

(City of Portland Archives)