Portland loved waffles over a century ago as this early turn-of-the-century photo indicates. This building was originally the “Old Crosby House,” built in 1848 or 1849, the first frame residence in Portland. It was located on the east side of SW 4th Avenue between Yamhill and Taylor.
Archive for the ‘Yamhill Street’ Category
Nike Town was the new kid on the (next) block in 1991 while the Fox Theater and Music Box Theater had just a few years left before the wrecking ball came. An earlier view of the theaters, on SW Broadway and Yamhill, can be seen here. Thanks to VP fan Andy Davies for sending in this photo; great shadow lighting through the Fox sign.
This building began life in 1911 as the Heilig Theater, originally staging live theater, and was converted to a movie house in 1929. It was named Mayfair Theater in the 1930s-40s and again renamed to Fox Theater in the 1950s. It had a quite impressive Art Deco ticket booth. The Music Box theater dates to 1960, converted from existing building space. The entire block was demolished 1997 and replaced by the Fox Tower. This view is looking southwest at SW Broadway and Yamhill.
Bud Holland sent in another beauty to start our new year. This view is north up SW 6th Avenue at Yamhill Street circa 1915. The Portland Hotel is on the left. A 1906 advertising illustration presents nearly the identical view in which a bit of artistic license was taken in regards to the placement of the Commonwealth Building at the far end of 6th Ave. Thanks once again, Bud!
Admiral William F. Halsey spoke to a large crowd of civilian and military personnel at the Victory Center on November 19, 1945. The Victory Center, on SW 6th in front of the Pioneer Post Office building, was constructed early in WWII to encourage the purchase of war bonds. The Portland Hotel sign can be seen on the left, and the Meier & Frank building is just beyond the Victory Center.
Before Pioneer Courthouse Square became “Portland’s Living Room,” it was a two level parking lot owned by Meier & Frank department store. That block was a parking lot for about 30 years, from the early 1950s to the early 1980s. This view looks northwest from SW 6th and Yamhill.