Yesterday’s post showed the intact Union Block in 1955 shortly before its demolition. Today’s photo is the same corner, SW 2nd and Stark, during demolition. Not much remains of the staid old building. Here a pedestrian walks past the cast-iron-fronted corner entrance.
Archive for the ‘Stark Street’ Category
The once-impressive Union Block covered the full block between SW 1st and 2nd Avenues, Stark and Oak Streets. Built in stages between 1879 and 1881, the building featured fine cast-iron pieces from Willamette Iron Works. It was demolished in 1955. This view is northeast across SW 2nd and Stark.
Fourth Street, now SW 4th Avenue, looked impressively wide in this 1907 image looking south through Stark Street. Pantages Theater was on the southwest corner and the extant 1898 Oregon Pacific Building can be seen another block down on the right. The tall building on the immediate left is the Chamber of Commerce building.
Wood frame buildings were still common on SW 6th Avenue in 1914. The street looked like an entertainment area of sorts with many bars, pool halls, theaters and restaurants. The new and elegant 12-story Wilcox Building, at left at the intersection with Washington Street, was a sign of a growing city. This view is south from Stark Street.
This illustration was a competitive design for the Chamber of Commerce building by architects Parkinson & Hamme; its final shape and scale would be similar but the details would be considerably less Gothic. Completed in 1892, the building would eventually dominate the north side of SW Stark between 3rd and 4th Avenues.