The Portland Police Reserve was formed in 1922 by mayor George Baker as a group of civilian volunteers to serve in emergency situations. They ended up responding mostly to widespread poverty, delivering food to citizens in need. They earned the name “George Baker’s Sunshine Boys” for the hope they brought. In 1938 they moved into this vacant precinct station at 39 N. Russell St.
Archive for the ‘Russell Street’ Category
Several months ago we looked at the intersection of N. Williams and Russell looking north in 1937. This is the same intersection, same year (probably same day), looking south.