Officials of some sort stand on the west end of the Broadway Bridge ramp around 1947. The St. Johns trolley bus is probably continuing south on Broadway; turning right would take it down the Lovejoy ramp.
Archive for the ‘Lovejoy Street’ Category
The NW Lovejoy ramp once met the west end of the Broadway Bridge and then came down to grade level at NW 14th Avenue. The ramp, here looking east, and most of what we see in this 1939 photo, is gone, replaced by Pearl District development. A bit of Union Station, featured yesterday, can be seen at the extreme upper edge.
Nothing remains of the magnificent home of Drs. Henry and Viola Coe, built on the northwest corner of NW 25th & Lovejoy. He owned and operated the Morningside Hospital and was very active in business and politics. He commissioned and donated four statues that still stand in Portland, most notably the golden Joan of Arc in Laurelhurst. Dr. Viola Coe was “was an ardent worker for woman suffrage” according to her 1943 Oregon Journal obituary. She was acting president of the Equal Suffrage Association when Oregon women achieved the right to vote in 1912, substituting for an ill Abigail Scott Duniway. Thanks to Ed Teague at University of Oregon Libraries for the suggestion.
The old Lovejoy Street ramp once elevated NW Lovejoy over the railroad tracks from NW Broadway to NW 14th Avenue. The ramp was removed in the late 1990s and it now reaches grade at about NW 9th Avenue, and Lovejoy is a surface street. This 1938 view looks west down the ramp with NW 10th coming in from the left side.
Once upon a time NW Lovejoy Street was elevated, from NW 14th Avenue to the Broadway Bridge. This view looks east at 14th where the ramp took drivers over the (now gone) railroad tracks. That overhead portion was removed in the late 1990s and now the ramp to the bridge begins at 9th Avenue.