Production of Liberty ships in support of the war effort was in full swing during this circa 1943 aerial view of the Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation shipyards in North Portland, just beyond St. Johns. The outfitting dock at center still remains, as well as a few of the buildings seen here. The shipyards delivered almost 500 Liberty, Victory and Attack Transports during WWII.
Archive for the ‘Lombard Street’ Category
Portland Public Schools open for the first day of the new year today. Nobody is going to the old Peninsula School these days however. The school, on the north side of N. Lombard Street at Knowles Avenue in 1945, has been replaced by an
Arbies Arby’s fast food restaurant today.
These two gentlemen look like they work at Crouchley Plumbing Co. rather than J.R. Chauncey Jeweler. The businesses in 1931 were at 204 and 204-1/2 N. Jersey Avenue; that’s 8709 N. Lombard using today’s street numbers. The Crouchley Plumbing Co. has been in business since 1907 and you can still walk into their office two doors down at 8717 N. Lombard.
The area around NE 33rd Avenue and Columbia Blvd. is shown in this circa 1968 aerial photo. The image has been modified to show a proposed overpass to separate traffic and ease congestion (and increase safety) at the intersection. The final configuration is not exactly like this but it’s not too far off.
Wide streets and tidy neighborhood shops are hallmarks of the stretch of N. Lombard Street where N. Fiske Avenue crosses in the University Park area of North Portland. This 1944 view is to the southeast and the dense trees of Columbia Park can be seen a few blocks down on the left.