The people enjoying our spectacular autumn weather along Tom McCall Waterfront Park would little recognize the same scene 90-some years ago. The dock at the foot of SW Jefferson Street then held barrels of tar for paving projects; the waterfront still has this physical configuration at the south end of the pavement and seawall. Riverplace Hotel and marina now replace Northwestern Electric’s Lincoln Plant in the distance.
Archive for the ‘Jefferson Street’ Category
This is a southwest-facing aerial view of the Goose Hollow area in 1932. From the Vista Avenue Viaduct and the old Multnomah Athletic Club on the right, to Portland Heights on the left, there is plenty of detail to pore over in this terrific photo. There are not many single family homes left today in the areas straddling SW Jefferson and SW 18th Avenue.
Buildings on SW 4th Avenue facing City Hall were being readied for demolition in this 1973 image. The entire block between 3rd and 4th, Jefferson (on the right) and Madison would become Terry Shrunk Plaza. The Oregon Polytechnic building housed the Rome Cafe in this earlier Vintage Portland post.
Goose Hollow is shown in this 1892 photo from the hillside above. Jefferson Street cuts left-right across the bottom while 18th goes diagonally from bottom-right and crosses in front of the Exposition Building at left-center. The large building at lower-right is still with us today but the surrounding area has been filled in so that the main structure is at ground level.
The original South Auditorium Urban Renewal District demolished 54 blocks south of Market between Front and 4th in the early 1960s. A second related, and much smaller scale, project in the late 1960s was known as Area II. It covered the area between Front and 4th, Market and Jefferson. A series in The Oregonian featured the problem of relocating the area’s low income residents and businesses; read Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.
(The Oregonian. Retrieved from http://infoweb.newsbank.com)