The Mt. Tabor streetcar line tracks snake through the intersection of SE Belmont at 55th Avenue. The Mt. Tabor Presbyterian Church is to our immediate left as we look east down Belmont, with the Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company Public Station dead ahead.
Archive for the ‘Belmont Street’ Category
The Mt. Tabor Presbyterian Church was just a few years old when this circa 1914 photo was taken looking west on SE Belmont at 55th. The Pacific Telephone and Telegraph Company Public Station, on the left, was new. Both buildings are still there but they’re much harder to see from a distance with the dense foliage in the neighborhood today.
Jerry Bosco and Ben Milligan are shown here handling decorative sheet metal in front of the Thaddeus Fisher house on SE 33rd Avenue just south of Belmont. Built in 1888-1892, the house is one of the finest examples of Queen Anne style in the area. Bosco and Milligan, founders of Portland’s Bosco-Milligan Foundation/Architectural Heritage Center, used to own this house and worked to restore it. Thanks to VP fan Tiffany Conklin for forwarding this photo.
According to the University of Oregon Libraries, the Pacific Northwest Bell Building, at the corner of SE Belmont & 17th. was designed by famed Portland architect Pietro Belluschi. Apparently it’s been modified since this 1967 photo; the arched doorway to the left, and all the windows above, have been trimmed off to accommodate a more modern addition.