Officials of some sort stand on the west end of the Broadway Bridge ramp around 1947. The St. Johns trolley bus is probably continuing south on Broadway; turning right would take it down the Lovejoy ramp.
Archive for the ‘Broadway’ Category
At one time N. Larrabee turned into Interstate Avenue as you crossed Broadway heading north; Interstate is routed closer to the river now. You might drive here when leaving the Memorial Coliseum or Rose Garden but the surroundings have changed drastically; only the building under the Rose City/Beaver State sign remains.
It appears engineers used this circa 1938 aerial photo of the South Park Blocks area to pencil in a potential route for the Stadium Freeway. The area would grow into the PSU campus we know today. The 1911 Lincoln High School building, bottom-center between SW Broadway and Park, would be the college’s first building on campus.
The building on the northwest corner of SW Broadway and Oak Street has had various names over the years. Built in 1908 as the Beck Building, it became the Artisans Building in 1920, and later the Commerce Building. It lost many of its ornate architectural features during a 1942 modernization. Now named Broadway Commons, the building is undergoing another renovation.
Another man holding another number. Perhaps this was to document the sad state of repairs of the curb and street paving along NE Broadway at 11th Avenue in 1929. The East Side Franklin Authorized Service Station referred to the Franklin automobile, manufactured between 1902 and 1934.
Today’s photo from 1934 is an “after” image to yesterday’s “during” image of the West Burnside widening project. The vantage point is very similar, looking west from 6th Avenue. Some buildings on both sides had their facades moved back to make room for a wider street. In the case of the Scott Hotel, it was removed entirely, leaving the lot at the far left empty even today.
The West Burnside widening project appears to be at its peak in this 1933 photo looking west through the intersection with Broadway. The 1910 Lowengart building is losing quite a bit of its north face to make way for the street. On the left, the top two floors of the Scott Hotel have already been removed and the ground floor is not far behind.