The low-rise parking lot on the southwest corner of SW Morrison & 1st Avenue is just being constructed in this 1965 photo. We’re looking south through the intersection with the old Riverside West (now Hotel Fifty) on the east side of 1st.
Archive for the ‘1st Avenue’ Category
The 1870 Corbett Building was the first fully cast-iron fronted building in the city. It was also the only building to have its cast-iron pieces come from Baltimore, shipped around Cape Horn. Demolished two years after this photo, it was on SW 1st Avenue between Alder and Washington.
We’ve seen the 1881 Ladd Block before; this gives a bit of a closer look at this once-fine building in its later years. This view is to the north up SW 1st Avenue from Columbia Street.
This photo shows how many of Portland’s 19th Century buildings had been allowed to decay over the following century. Fortunately they weren’t all demolished; although the photo is labeled “2nd Avenue and Yamhill Street,” this is probably the northwest corner of the extant 1880 Mikado Block at SW 1st and Taylor.
Standing atop the parking garage at SW 1st and Jefferson, we get a good view to the south and a changing Portland skyline of 1975. Newer buildings south of Clay are still standing today, while those north of Clay have been replaced. Notice the tunnels leading under the street where the Marriott Hotel site is being excavated.
Looking west from the SW 1st Avenue overpass, construction crews are digging deep to excavate the I-405 freeway circa 1965. The Travelodge over on SW 4th is clearly visible here, as are other still extant buildings. You can see an aerial view of the overall area here.
The New Market Theater is shown here on SW 1st between Ankeny and Ash Streets, probably in 1872, the year it was completed. Construction appears to be just starting for the New Market Block, North Wing, which was completed the following year. The North Wing was demolished in 1956 but the cast-iron arches were saved and are in place today. It will be another 16 years before the Skidmore Fountain makes its appearance. It would be placed probably about at the end of the wooden sidewalk at lower center of the photo.