Traffic is heavy where W. Burnside meets SW 18th and 19th Avenues and Alder Street in this 1938 photo. Hard to tell what traffic control system they had in place at that time but it looks like all directions are on the move, including pedestrians. Part of Portland Firefighters Park can be seen on the left.
Archive for the ‘18th Avenue’ Category
Recent removal of heavy vegetation at the corner of SW 18th and Mill St. Terrace has uncovered this partial foundation. Could this be part of the old Portland Cable Railway that ran up the hill to Portland Heights? It’s a interesting site, showing a mixture of brick and concrete construction, and there’s an almost buried curved staircase visible. For all you urban archeologists out there, now is the time to get exploring as vegetation removal could be the first step in development of the lot. Be careful out there and remember, this is private property.
The Jacob Kamm house is shown here on its move from its original site near SW 14th and Salmon, to where it now rests on SW 20th Avenue. This view is west on Salmon Street. The Zion Lutheran Church can be seen in the distance on the right, and the cluster of homes on the left of the image is still intact along SW Madison at 18th. This is another great photo sent by Bud Holland.
Goose Hollow is shown in this 1892 photo from the hillside above. Jefferson Street cuts left-right across the bottom while 18th goes diagonally from bottom-right and crosses in front of the Exposition Building at left-center. The large building at lower-right is still with us today but the surrounding area has been filled in so that the main structure is at ground level.
Sahr’s opened in June of 1958 with a “happy, contemporary motif with bright and gay colors” according to The Oregonian. It was located on the southeast corner of SW 18th and Jefferson in Goose Hollow (here looking southeast). Owners George Sahr and Henry W. Walther sold the restaurant to Denny’s in September of 1968.