Although labeled NW 12th Avenue, this is actually NW 13th Avenue at Lovejoy looking south. Industrial Northwest Portland was in the business of freight, storage and other heavy industry; paved streets and sidewalks could always come later.
Archive for the ‘13th Avenue’ Category
Workers at the Portland Railway, Light and Power Sellwood Division carbarn pose in front of the Oregon City and Estacada trolley cars. The Sellwood carbarn was at SE 13th Avenue just south of Linn Street. Thanks to Gary Kyle for sending this photo from his personal collection; the man standing at far right, 2nd row (in white shirt, brimmed hat and overalls) was his grandfather.
This Temple Beth Israel synagogue was built in 1888 on SW Main Street between 12th and 13th Avenues. Its two distinctive 125-foot towers were landmarks on Portland’s early skyline. It was destroyed by fire in 1928 and replaced by the congregation’s current building in Northwest Portland.