NW Hoyt Street was paved with Belgian blocks when this 1917 image was taken. You can still find a few streets in the area paved with these natural stones but Hoyt is all asphalt now. A couple of buildings are still with us in this view to the west looking through the intersection at 11th Avenue.
Archive for the ‘11th Avenue’ Category
Another man holding another number. Perhaps this was to document the sad state of repairs of the curb and street paving along NE Broadway at 11th Avenue in 1929. The East Side Franklin Authorized Service Station referred to the Franklin automobile, manufactured between 1902 and 1934.
Circa 1882 Portland was only on the west side of the river as Albina and East Portland had not yet been annexed. To call this North Portland, as the label states, makes sense but it’s most definitely Southwest Portland now. The view is similar to this earlier VP entry where we look north on the block between SW 11th and 12th; The Old Church is nearing completion in the center. There are some handsome mansions fronting the South Park Blocks on the right; the side-by-side white Italianate homes belonged to brothers Ralph and Isaac Jacobs.
The western-most North Bank Freight Depot building on the northwest corner of NW Hoyt & 11th is shown in the 1917 photo. The building (and its sister across the street) is still with us, a fine luxury condo building in the Pearl District. The remnants of that sign on the end of the building can still be seen.