East side approach ramp construction was underway in this circa 1930 photo of the St. Johns Bridge. Cabling and main bridge decking had not yet started. The old St. Johns City Hall building on the left was covered with ivy and a fountain once flowed in the street.
Archive for the ‘North’ Category
It must be back-to-school time for Carl Opperman, standing in front of his grocery and confectionery shop at 918 N. Mississippi Avenue in 1932. Renumbered as 4236 N. Mississippi, that building now houses a laundromat on the southeast corner of Mississippi at Skidmore Street.
VP Fan and previous contributor Bud Holland sent in another great entry. This is the old Swan Island Airport terminal building circa 1940. Bud seems to remember that this was used as the headquarters of Oregon Shipbuilding during WWII. Can anybody provide more information on this? Great photo, Bud, thanks again!