This photo shows how many of Portland’s 19th Century buildings had been allowed to decay over the following century. Fortunately they weren’t all demolished; although the photo is labeled “2nd Avenue and Yamhill Street,” this is probably the northwest corner of the extant 1880 Mikado Block at SW 1st and Taylor.
Archive for the ‘1970s’ Category
Standing atop the parking garage at SW 1st and Jefferson, we get a good view to the south and a changing Portland skyline of 1975. Newer buildings south of Clay are still standing today, while those north of Clay have been replaced. Notice the tunnels leading under the street where the Marriott Hotel site is being excavated.
The 1883 Smith & Watson Building on the northeast corner of SW 1st & Main was one of the last cast-iron-fronted buildings to be demolished in Portland. VP fan Bud Holland was lucky enough to have taken these photos of the building shortly before its demise. And we’re lucky that Bud has passed these on for us all to enjoy.
The newly constructed World Trade Center 1 looms in the background behind The Old Main Tavern at SW 1st Avenue & Main Street in 1975. Neither the Old Main nor the cast-iron building to the left would survive the next few years. Read more about the Old Main Tavern at this previous VP post.
Construction of apartments and condominiums along the Willamette river in 1975 signal a shift away from the waterfront being an industrial environment to residential and commercial. John’s Landing refers to the B.P. John Furniture Company, some of whose buildings are still standing in the area. SW Macadam Ave. and SW Pendleton St. cross here.
We know it as Keller Fountain Park today but it was originally named Forecourt Fountain when built in 1970. The fountain and park are directly across 3rd Avenue from the Keller Auditorium between SW Market and Clay. Looming in the background is the old c1890 St. Mary’s Academy building. It was demolished about the time of this photo although the stone wall you see surrounding it here lasted until 2010.
The lovely old Congress Hotel stood on the northeast corner of SW 6th and Main from its completion in 1912 until it was demolished in 1977. This undated photo is probably 1973-77 era (I think the white car is a 1973 Mercury Comet). Four terracotta arches from the old hotel still frame the entrance to an underground restaurant on that corner.