When Portland businessman John C. Ainsworth constructed his bank building in 1881, it was the most expensive, at $100,000, to date. It stood on the northwest corner of SW 3rd and Oak until 1955 when it was demolished for the surface parking lot that is still there. Read more about this fine building on Dan Haneckow’s Cafe Unknown.
Archive for the ‘1950s’ Category
The Spaulding Building was one of Portland’s more distinctive designs. It was built for owner William Wallace Spaulding for $30,000 in 1883. It stood on SW 1st Avenue between Columbia and Clay Streets until 1967 when it was demolished as part of the South Auditorium Urban Renewal District project. A white concrete slab wall at the back of the Marriott Hotel is all you see there now.
The corner of SW 6th & Washington isn’t so different today than it was 60 years ago. Despite some obvious changes, some buildings still exist. The Equitable Building (now Commonwealth Building) and Plaza Hotel (now Hotel Vintage Plaza) are still to be found on the right, and the Morgan Building is still a block up on Broadway. Can anybody make out what movie is playing at the United Artists theater?
What’s now the grassy Tom McCall Waterfront Park was in 1954 the traffic-intense Harbor Drive. The Journal building (originally Portland Public Market building) came down in 1969 and the Morrison Bridge in the background was replaced in 1958. The 1949 Portland Visitors Information Center building (in front of the Journal building) still stands. This photo was taken from the Hawthorne Bridge.
This nice brick and cast-iron building was erected on the southeast corner of SW 2nd and Oak in 1884 at a cost of $20,000. This photo dates to 1959; the building was demolished in 1965.
The 1881 Ladd Block, on the northwest corner of SW 1st and Columbia, survived until 1965 when it was demolished almost overnight and replaced with a paved parking lot. When the Benjamin Franklin Plaza building (now Umpqua Bank Plaza) was built across SW 1st Avenue, some of the cast-iron pieces from the Ladd Block were installed on the 19th floor.
This aerial photo shows Northwest Portland’s Guild’s Lake area around 1952. The Forestry Building, a remnant of the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition, and the huge Montgomery Ward building, are clearly visible in the foreground. On the left, the Guild’s Lake housing project, built for WWII shipyard workers, was sited generally between NW 31st and 35th Avenues, and NW Industrial Street and Yeon Avenue. It would be demolished within the next couple of years.