NE Union Avenue and Russell Street, 1929

In this image, a number man is standing outside the building on the corner of NE Union (Martin Luther King Blvd.) and NE Russell. Although it has changed slightly, the building, built in 1909, is still standing. There are several businesses that are visible, including “W. R. Affleck” drug store and East Side X-Ray Laboratory.

 

NE Union [MLK Blvd] and Russell, 1929 : A2009-009.1041

NE Union [MLK Blvd] and Russell, 1929 : A2009-009.1041

View this image in Efile by clicking here.

 

Barde Dock, 1927

In this photograph of the Barde Dock, you see a crane used during the construction of the Front Avenue sewer (this project brought us the Harbor Wall). This image is looking north. Several businesses, including the Zidell-Steinberg Company, Butzer’s Seed Store, and W. P. Fuller & Company, are visible in the background.

 

Front Ave Sewer Barde Dock showing the crane used in the construction, May 17, 1927 : A1999-004.245

Front Ave Sewer Barde Dock showing the crane used in the construction, May 17, 1927 : A1999-004.245

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

Sheldon’s Service Station, 1927

Sheldon’s Service Station was located on the corner of SE Clay and 12th Avenue. This photograph was taken looking east towards SE Ladd Avenue, 1927.

 

Sheldon's Service Station, 1927 : A2009-009.444

Sheldon’s Service Station, 1927 : A2009-009.444

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

NE Broadway and 28th Avenue, 1929

This building, still standing on the corner of NE Broadway and 28th Avenue, housed several business, including Fernwood Pharmacy, one of the MacMarr Stores, Gaston Meats, and S & S Garage.

 

NE Broadway, 1929 : A2009-009.3425

NE Broadway, 1929 : A2009-009.3425

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

SW 4th and Yamhill, circa 1925

This view of SW 4th Ave. and Yamhill St. includes the exterior of the Public Employment Bureau, a men’s restroom, and a market storefront. The building formerly housed Portland’s Central Fire Station 1, which was built in 1890. Prior to the Central Fire Station occupying the site, it was home to the Volunteer Fire Department’s Vigilance Hook and Ladder dating back to the 1850s. This image was taken circa 1925.

 

Public Empolyment Bur exterior view SW 3rd and Yamhill, circa 1925 : A2009-009.90

Public Empolyment Bur exterior view SW 4th and Yamhill, circa 1925 : A2009-009.90

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.

NE Broadway, 1929

Today was have another Number Man image. Here he is standing in front of The Sugar Bowl. To the right you see the Irvington Bakery. Before the street renumbering, the address for The Sugar Bowl was 678 E Broadway. The current address is 1916 NE Broadway.

 

The Sugar Bowl 1916 NE Broadway, 1929 : _A2009-009.3391

The Sugar Bowl 1916 NE Broadway, 1929 : _A2009-009.3391

 

View this image in Efiles by clicking here.